Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving...

What can I say about Thanksgiving? *sigh* Think of everything good about Thanksgiving. Yep, it was all there. I met the kids (teenagers from ANCF) at the Christian school and they walked me to the Willoughby's apartment. As the door opened, a wave of Thanksgiving pleasures enveloped me. The sights, the sounds and the smells were everywhere. Children underfoot, great food on the table and even a football game. I was home. I even got to check 6 year old Silas for loose change. (For those who don't understand this proceedure, it requires turning the child upsidedown and shaking to see if money falls out of his pockets. Loads of fun for all involved.)

The menu: turkey (lots of it!), mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, carrots, something green I forgot to get, rolls, grandma's jello mold and real, thick, brown gravy. For dessert there was the choice of pumpkin pie, pecan pie and apple pie. So, of course I had one of each. And best of all, they're good people!! (Thanks Chris!) I was working on my plate when Silas came up to me. With a serious look on his face he said, "When you're finished, you can come play with me if you want." Between the attention he got from me and Luke, he must have slept like a log that night.

There was the ball game, parlor games and alot of good conversation. I hadn't realized before, but conversing with someone who doesn't know your language well is tiring. You don't realize that you are constantly concentrating on speaking slowly and clearly. But Saturday was total relaxation. I even learned how to get the ball games on my PC. Pastor Paul was jealous Sunday when I told him about it. He said he had planned to have me over for steak at Christmas, but I'm not invited anymore.

Thanksgiving: I'm thankful for all the blessings God has given me. I'm thankful for you, for your friendship, your prayers and your support. I'm thankful for this opportunity to grow in new ways. I'm thankful for the family I never knew I had. And I'm thankful for Jesus Christ who made it possible to "Come with what you do not have, and buy what’s undeserved."

Galatians 6:14 "But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

2 comments:

Susan said...

What...no broccoli or brussel sprouts?

Unknown said...

Well, there is one thing I can relate to here. The patience it takes to speak with someone that does not speak your language well. With my new position I work with the internationals that come in...and some of the paper work that makes this happen. The good news is that once your "ear" gets used to the accents and "broken" language, you don't notice it much anymore AND it seems to take less patience. I know this because others in the department will bring new arrivals to me and I help the two understand one another. When I first started, I could not have done this...in fact I would have loved to have had someone help me the first month.

As if you need to hear it from me, you are doing wonderful!