Thursday, December 11, 2008

Opportunities Everywhere...

I just left Daejeon Station aboard the KTX on my way to Seoul (see http://barjonah.blogspot.com/2008/11/ktx.html). Several of us are laughing quietly at a man two rows up who is snoring loudly. At first I thought my dad was on the train watching a ballgame. Earlier I was sitting in the station with all the other waiting passengers and a pleasant Korean lady came up to me from behind and offered me a magazine. In big bold letters across the top was “Watchtower.” I thought, “Well, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are here.” I was in the middle of responding to an email from one of the Korean church members and simply said, “No, thank you.” She looked a little disappointed as if she had been waiting for a white person to show up, but she went her way.

(The train attendant just woke snoring man and said something to him, to which snoring man responded appreciatively. I suppose he’s glad he’s not the center of attention anymore.)

My email was to Deacon Choi. He works for a technology institute and asked me to look at some language he had written for a product. While many Koreans read and write English very well, it is sometimes difficult to choose phrasing that expresses ideas but without sounding like it’s your second language. He needed my final draft today, so I hurriedly finished in the station. After picking up a Coke at the 7-11, I went to the platform. I was early, but it was hot inside, and this gave me a chance to take some pictures. I sat next to a gentleman and after exchanging pleasantries, he asked about my work. J He lived in New Jersey for several years and his English was very good. I told him so. He disagreed but admitted that he at least was brave enough to try, unlike many Koreans who fear embarrassment.

After asking our denomination, he commented that Baptist is conservative and asked if we baptize by immersion like Korean Baptists do. I answered his questions and joked about how we trace our denomination directly to John the Baptist. A great belly laugh followed that one. I then explained that while Baptizing correctly is important, salvation doesn’t hinge on it. “Salvation is through trust in Jesus Christ alone,” I said. He agreed. We only had a moment before his train, so I wished him well.

Is it possible that every encounter I have is an opportunity? I’m beginning to think so. I don’t know if God made the station uncomfortable causing me to go outside, but I would not be surprised if He did.

No comments: