Thursday, December 18, 2008

Halfway...

Today is my 45th day in Korea. Halfway. I've experienced a lot, mostly with everyday living. I've really enjoyed the adventure of exploration and discovery. Sometimes I fall into that trap of thinking I'm an expert at this or that, but then something happens to remind me that I know nothing. Our life with God is the same. Occasionally God sweeps His light to give us a brief glimpse of our destination, but usually He shines just enough for us to see where the next step is. When we get comfortable, pride rises within us and we think we are in control of our destiny. That's when He dims the light a bit to remind us where it comes from.

I'm at a point now that is unusual in a foreign land. I'm past the initial learning stage and simply living. Things are familiar to me now. While I look forward to returning home in February, I already know it will be difficult to leave. I easily make attachments on mission trips. A week with a family and new friends always leaves my heart a bit tender, but this is beyond that. I've developed trusting relationships here. Good people who love Jesus, who worship and live for Him and who share the same future I do. I've been allowed into their homes and lives. We've shared our dreams, our joys and our sorrows. I've seen God working here just as He does everywhere else. I feel at home.

So, when it comes time to go home, I know I will also be leaving home. And that is the difficult thing.

No comments: