Monday, December 1, 2008

Making Kimchi...

The other day a very large quantity of leaf cabbage appeared at the church. Tables were piled high with the stuff, but I really didn't give it much thought. There is so much that I don't understand happening here that I've gotten used to it. But the next day I got an education. I was in the office when I began to hear what sounded like a hornets nest. It was coming from the cafeteria on other side of the office wall. Again, I just shrugged it off. But then, David said, "I will go work now." My curiousity made me follow, and here is what I found.

It's pretty simple really. You take this hot pepper mixture and rub it and spread it between each leaf of the cabbage. Then you put it away somewhere dark for a while to let it ferment. Then you have Kimchi. One of the ladies let me try some of the fresh stuff. I actually like it better than the fermented version. They tell me that everyone makes their own Kimchi around this time - enough for the year. I know what's for lunch from now on...

Hear's a video. Listen for the drone of the hornets.

2 comments:

Richard said...

I never heard the hornets. Only women laughing. Anyways, that would be a little frightening to see for the first time. Cabbage, everywhere cabbage. OH MY! LOL
Thanks for keeping us posted with different things happening. It still amazes me you are really there.

E said...

I guess it should seem odd to see women in gloves putting cabbage in buckets...but really all I can think is "yum..kimchi!"