Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Living the Language...

I enjoyed a huge victory the other day. I asked about Christian book stores, and one of the staff wrote down the name of one in Hangeul and English. He showed me the location on my bus map, and I started off. I had been in the area before, but wasn't sure where it was. As usual, there were 5 and 6 story buildings all down the block, and each window seemed to have a business sign. I focused on the first two syllables in the name on my paper and compared them to the signs. Within a couple of minutes I had it. Last building, second floor.
Hangeul really isn't that difficult. (Anything can be overwhelming when you see it all at once.) The difficult part is applying sounds to unfamiliar characters. But the structure of words is really pretty simple. Characters are arranged in blocks (left to right first then top to bottom). Each block is a syllable and blocks are put together to form words. I've prepared a little game for you. Below is an alphabet chart. Note that consonants have two possible sounds. The first is for use as the initial character in a syllable. The second is if used to end a syllable. Example: 아 is AH while 상 is SAHNG. Another Hint: ㅅ can be a little frustrating. At the beginning it is "s" or "sh" but at the end it is "t".
Now here's your quiz. Below are signs from several familiar establishments. See if you can figure them out. Don't let the different scripts fool you. Post your answers.

1.
2.
3. Hint: The first letter in the second syllable is actually "ㄱ". (Remember, read left to right then top to bottom.)
4.
5.
6. This one is actually Russian. Found it on the net. Do you know it?

2 comments:

Richard said...

1. McDonalds
2. No Guess
3. Dunkin' Donuts
4. No Guess
5. No Guess
6. TGI Fridays

Bill Phillips said...

It's "Greek" to me! My 66 year old brain just won't wrap around it.