Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Preached Saturday Night...

It's a big deal for me. I don't consider it to be a strength, and I certainly don't have alot of experience. Still, it was rewarding, and God kept me from being nervous.

Nehemiah has been one of my favorite characters. He had a burden for something great and recognized that God had placed him in a position of opportunity. He made himself available and was rewarded with more than he asked for. He committed to the task and lead the people with integrity. God granted him wisdom, and he recognized the treachery of the enemy. He withstood their attacks, continually relying on the foundation of God's work in his life. He measured the advice of others against the word of God. He was steadfast, faithful and honest. He completed the task and others glorified God because of it.

Something new to me about Nehemiah...he knew God's voice. In 1:11 his prayer demonstrates his immediate understanding that God was about to use him. Perhaps he did not have a clear vision of the big picture, but he clearly understood the next step. He was in a unique postion to do something about the problems in Jerusalem, and he trusted God to work through the king.

He reminds me of Abraham. Abraham also knew God's voice. When God said, "Take your only son, and offer him as a burnt offering..." he did not hesitate. Despite any questions he may have had, he immediately obeyed. Hebrews says of him, "By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac; he who had received the promises was offering up his unique son, about whom it had been said, 'In Isaac your seed will be called.' He considered God to be able even to raise someone from the dead...."

Faith is not something we conjure up within ourselves. It comes from God. He births it in us, and with our continued trust, faith grows. You may not yet have that faith, but you can pray for God to give it to you. And by doing so, you are taking the very first step, trusting that He will give you the faith you seek.

I'm nothing special and I hesitate to compare myself to those men. I've always seen them as being great men of the faith - which they were. But they were also ordinary men. They had emotions, doubts, temptation and pain. But through obedience they allowed God to use them. I'm grateful for the glimpse of true faith God has given me. In August, when I considered Jesus' words in Matthew 21:22 "...if you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer" I was afraid to try them. But I heard Him say, "Those were my words. I meant them. Try me." So I did, and here I am in Korea.

Nehemiah... Abraham... at least for one moment I was that close to God, and I clearly heard His voice.

1 comment:

Richard said...

I think you hear God's voice more often than you think. I see the way you work and how focused you are with doing God's Work and not your own. I have learned so much from you and you being in Korea has really opened my eyes to what God has in store for all of us. It's not just something pastors get to do. God gives us all opportunities to listen and obey. I may not know the right things to say, but my heart is learning more about what God is offering to all of us. Again thank you for showing us what God can do in 1 person's life. Thank you for sharing all that God is doing with you in Korea.