Sunday, December 7, 2008

Break Through...

After a great experience, we often try to recreate it seeking to satisfy our need for more. Think of those mornings when you wake to a warm, cozy cocoon. (I never seem to have that when I can actually stay in bed, only when I have to get up.) What about that excellent meal where everything was just right. Or that great date that had just the right balance of chemistry and conversation. We line up all the ingredients and attempt to bring back that special moment. But usually it's impossible.

It's much the same way with God. He touches us in powerful, special ways, providing just what we need when we need it. Many times we chase those moments trying to recapture the feeling. We try to sing the same song or read the same passage in the same place and in the same way. When we do that, we miss the greater blessing. We miss Him. He creates those times to draw us to Himself. His desire is for us to live not in a momentary experience but in His presence. And the only formula is Him.

In some ways, I've been chasing a moment. Since June I've desired to recreate the clarity and pure worship I had with Him. I've had some great experiences here but always with an eye for that special moment. He's been drawing me close to Himself and laying aside all the things that would distract me. And today it happened.

I worshipped today with the Korean congregation. It was a joint service held at the Seminary auditorium, and I knew it would be special. I enjoyed the music and sang along a little, but most of it was either new to me, or I didn't know the English words. Near the end a familiar melody began and words came to me:

You are beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words
Too wonderful for comprehension
Like nothing ever seen or heard
Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom
Who can fathom the depth of Your love
You are beautiful beyond description
Majesty enthroned above

I began to drift away--away from the crowd--away from the words--and to simply gaze upon the beauty of my Lord. All the concerns, all the pain, all the plans were washed away by his loving presence. It was only my Lord and me as I sang:

I stand I stand in awe of You
I stand I stand in awe of You
Holy God to whom all praise is due
I stand in awe of You

Wonderful...powerful...cleansing worship...

Lamentatians 3:22-23 "[Because of] the LORD's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing like the moment when you feel wrapped in his love. Just nothing. It seems to happen most, when you are chasing it the least. Meaning, your focus is on Him and not on trying to make the connection happen. Did I make this clear?