Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Innovation...

Since I've been here, I've noticed a number of small but interesting innovations. Things that made me think, "Why have I never seen that before?"

Square water bottles: I love these things. They stack well, and when you remove 5 or 6 from the case, you can still carry it around without them falling out all over.

Build up: Real estate is at a premium here, though not nearly so as in Japan. Still, they build up instead of out. Stores, churches, apartment buildings, everything is up up up. I was at the bus stop this morning and started counting the apartments in my complex alone. 6-8 apartments per floor, 15 floors, 10 buildings...all within a small block. That's a lot of families.

Shopping carts with 4 wheels that turn: OK, this can be a little dangerous. It took me a little while to get the hang of turning corners. Kind of reminded me of the Amazing Race. Still, after I got used to it, I could see the benefit. I'm moving forward and that little old lady suddenly appears. There's only room for one, and in this country, she has the right of way. So, I do a little side step and don't even have to pick up the cart. Fantastic!

Magnetic escalators: You're at E-Mart in the grocery section and you want to go upstairs to get a dish towel. No problem. Just do a donut with your cart and get on the conveyor belt. Your wheels slip in to the handy little grooves in the floor, and they are magnetically held in place. Although no one believes me, I did a little experiment and I'm telling you it's magnetic.

Parking attendants: Think you have them already? Think again. When you enter the parking garage, you turn the corner and there stands a uniformed attendant, white gloves and all. She/He motions you forward and points up the ramp indicating where the available spaces are. At the top of the ramp is another attendant who helps you again. And as you drive by, you receive a low bow of respect.

Eating with scissors: Have you ever used scissors to cut your food at the table? Everybody does it here, and it's the most logical thing I've ever seen. I'll never eat Fillet Mignon the same way again.

Oh, and got the urge to play a little badminton tonight? No problem. Just use the glow in the dark shuttle. I watched a couple of girls playing from my balcony. Pretty funny seeing that yellow dot go back and forth.

No comments: