Friday, December 12, 2008

Sing...

Acts 16:25 "About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them."

Romans 15:9 "...so that the Gentiles may glorify God for his mercy, as it is written: 'Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing hymns to your name.'"

Ephesians 5:19 "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord."

Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God."

James 5:13 "Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise."

They sing hymns at every bible study. Large or small...they sing. Young or old...they sing. In fact, the Korean bible is also a hymnal. In it are more than 600 hymns, most of which you would know even though you can't read the Korean words. There is a bible study in the cafeteria every Friday. They always sing, but this morning the Worship Leader went in with his guitar, and they went around the group choosing their favorite hymn.

"Blessed Assurance," "The Old Rugged Cross," My Jesus I Love Thee," "There Is Power in the Blood" and others. I went in about half-way through and sang along with them. Five little grandmothers and their teacher. He has a booming voice, and he's not afraid to use it. Actually, they all make alot of sound. The joy radiates from their faces as they sing, eyes closed sometimes and worshipping. It draws you, and you cannot help but worship too.

I think we have lost that particular blessing in our culture. Singing together is a bonding experience, and singing to our Savior is one of the best ways to share. Why have we reserved singing for Worship services? Why do we view it as a spectator sport reserved for only those we deem talented? Fair warning: from now on, I'm going to encourage singing at every meeting. It's not only a good idea. It's biblical. It's important. Don't worry about your voice. Don't worry about the class next door. They'll be fine, and perhaps they'll join in.

There is an endless song
Echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring
And though the storms may come
I am holding on
To the Rock I cling
How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your Love
How can I keep from shouting Your Name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Uumm, you might not feel the same if you heard my voice. However, I do appreciate what you are saying.