Sunday, January 11, 2009

예배 (Worship)...

I attended the 10:00 a.m. Korean worship service today. I planned to slip out after the music, so I stood in the back with the staff. About half the songs they use are translated from English, so I know most of them. The others are purely Korean, and I've isolated a handful of my favorites for translation. Lin was raised in America and considers Korean and English both to be his first language. He says he thinks in both, automatically adapting to the given situation. I likened it to being ambidextrous. He is an excellent worship leader and works with the college ministry. He gave me literal translation for the songs I picked out, and I'm going to polish the language into more poetic forms.

At worship today, we began with one of my favorites. I didn't have the translation with me, but the music alone was enough for me to worship. Chin Soong was standing next to me, eyes closed, passionately singing. I hummed along and worshiped. We then moved to "God Is the Strength of My Heart".

Whom have I in heaven but You
There is nothing on earth I desire besides You
My heart and my strength many times they fail
But there is one truth that always will prevail

God is the strength of my heart
God is the strength of my heart
God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever

I joined my friend and sang with all my heart. We glanced at one another with knowing smiles and joined as brothers praising our Savior. We sang and sang, verse after verse, chorus after chorus. Then I was surprised by something. As we continued to sing the chorus over and over...I realized I had been singing in Korean...reading the words off the screen. Another thrilling moment. Can there really be more? Is this what heaven will be? Every race, every tribe, every tongue, every nation...giving praise to the Lamb of God.

Even so Lord Jesus, quickly come!

1 comment:

Richard said...

I bet that was a totally awesome feeling you had, being lost with God alone, Worshiping.
It's so hard to find those moments when life is so busy. It reminds me of the lyrics to a song we did for choir, "Word of God Speak". That is one my newer favorite songs these days.
I know we have new songs coming, don't we?! ;-)