Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sunday...

I was invited to speak and sing at the Korean Worship. They only had one worship time at 10:00 a.m. I'll explain that on "Monday." I shared with them a little of my experience and sang "I Will Sing of My Redeemer." It's Fernando Ortega's arrangement and one of my favorites. Here is some of the text of my brief message to them:

God brought me here in answer to a specific prayer. He has provided exactly what was needed at every turn, demonstrating His power and work in my life and in this place. I had specific expectations when I arrived. As you know, many times our expectations are not part of God’s plan. I did not expect the period of growth and stretching I have experienced. These past three months have been a wonderful time of exploration, learning, new relationships and profound personal growth.

God has used you to teach me many things. Through you He has taught me:
He is the God of laughter.
He is the God of love.
He is the God of passion.
He is the God of commitment.
He is the God of generosity.

Your Pastors and staff are precious people. I have thoroughly enjoyed our time together. We have laughed, worshipped and learned together. We have stretched each other, and I have especially enjoyed the looks on some faces as I pushed them to speak English. I love them all. Except Kim Ki Hyeon Cheondosa…he talks too much. (This was met with much laughter as Ki Hyeon is famous for his ability to talk.)

The prospect of going home brings me joy, but it also brings me much sadness. I am returning home, but I also feel that I am leaving home. I will miss the conversations. I will miss the meals. I will miss the handshakes and hugs that speak so much more than language ever could. I will even miss hearing Pastor Shin’s son call me “Grandpa.” In English we say, “Parting is such sweet sorrow.” It is sweet because of the love I now feel for you. But the same love brings great sorrow at parting. I am comforted by the knowledge that this is not the end of our journey together; it is only the beginning of our eternity together.

Recently as we worshipped here together, we were singing a familiar song. During the chorus, I realized I was actually singing the Korean words off the screen. I was overwhelmed by the glimpse of what heaven will be. Every tribe, every language, every people, every nation gathered around the throne giving praise to the risen Lamb of God.

I praise my Savior for the work He is doing here.
I praise Him for the work He has done in me.
I praise Him for the privilege of knowing you.
I praise Him for the future we share together.

Thank you for everything you’ve done to show God’s love to me.

Philippians 1:3내가 너희를 생각할 때마다 나의 하나님께 감사하며
_____________________

Sunday night I went with some English Speaking friends to McDonald's. It was the traditional American way to celebrate the Korean New Year. Following some fireworks I rushed home to get on the internet and do my last webcall to WLBC. I think I scared some people with my opening video, but I assure you it was only a joke.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you mean you think? Could you not hear the nervous chuckles and the dead silence that followed? Yeah, you don't joke like that when you're miles away. Its harder to punch you in the arm then.

Jeff said...

HAHA! I thought so...
But why would ANYBODY think I could be that cruel. Of course I'm coming home...I've got to get all my stuff...