Thursday, January 8, 2009

And the Name Is...

It was a lot of fun finding a name for Sun Mi and a little bit intimidating. As I said before, I consider names to be of great importance, and this was a great honor. I found several name sites and did a lot of looking, using the advanced search engines to find matches for the meanings of her Korean names. The are "Good" and "Beautiful" in that order.

You might want to check out your own name:
http://www.name-meanings.com/
http://www.babyhold.com/
http://www.babynology.com/

I started with "Beautiful" and "Beauty" and found a number of possibilities:
Meadow
Linda or Lyn
Annabelle or Belle
Belinda
Ellen/Ellie/Ella/Elle
Lillie
even Leeanne (an Irish form of Helen meaning "light" and "beauty")

I searched in American, English and even Hebrew to include any Bible names that might pop up. I then searched for the meaning "Good", and although the list was shorter, one name jumped off the screen. I looked at the description and saw that it met all the criteria. It included both meanings as well as being in the Bible, and it's popular in the U.S. I was a little nervous when I took it to Sun Mi. I shared all the names I had found and saved my choice 'til last. When I explained it, she got very excited and immediately decided it was for her. She explained that anytime someone had asked her English name she was sad, because she had never found one. But now she's happy because her English name is:

Abigail 아비가일 Abby 아비

Meaning: Father rejoiced, or father's joy. Gives joy.

The intelligent, beautiful Abigail was Old Testament King David's
third wife, described as “good in discretion and beautiful in form.”

1 Samuel 25:3 “…and his wife’s name was Abigail. She was
an intelligent and beautiful woman…”

1 comment:

Todd said...

...even Leeanne (an Irish form of Helen meaning "light" and "beauty")

Hey thanks, that is really sweet. I never knew what my name meant!
Leeanne