Friday, January 23, 2009

조코파이...

"Choco Pie"...
I was sitting here talking with Pastor Paul and I tried to give him half of my Choco Pie. It's the Korean equivalent of a Moon Pie although not as big. That seems to be the common theme here. They have everything we do, just not as big. Clothes, cars, tables, portions and of course people.

However, I did see a huge dog the other day. He was loose at the train station, and his owner was yelling at him and pointing down the alley. After nosing around for a few seconds, he turned and lumbered toward home. I couldn't get my camera out in time. He looked like a Malamute, but he had to weigh at least 150 lbs. and had a huge box like head. He was one of the biggest dogs I have seen anywhere, so you can imagine the added surprise of seeing him here in a country where everything is 2 sizes smaller. I wear a XXXL t-shirt here by the way, and they don't have many of them.

Back to the Choco Pie. I tried to tear it in half. The chocolate cookie broke easily, but the chemically reinforced marshmallow would not budge. I pulled and pulled, careful not to crumble the cookie, but the only thing the marshmallow wanted to do was to separate from the cookie. With persistance and persperation, I finally succeeded only to hear Pastor Paul say, "No thanks."

Warning: Bad humor ahead!!

Times like this make me think of biblical things, and I recognized the analogy in this moment. We are often pulled in different directions. Sometimes the strain is enough to break us, but the Holy Spirit does not budge. He is the glue that holds us together. We are pulled and pulled, but he reinforces us, giving us the strength to hold on.

I told Pastor Paul I knew this was a "stretch." He only rolled his eyes and nodded.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hmmmmm.....RC and a Moon Pie!