Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Winter...

Shattered dreams... unrealized expectations... heartbreak...

Job must have felt these things as he lay in his misery. What he had counted on and thought was to be his inheritance was suddenly ripped away. His plans were no longer valid, and his future was uncertain. The heartache alone was almost more than he could take.

He questioned God. He said, "God, You've answered my prayer. You brought me to this place for this purpose. Now you've taken it away. I don't understand." Job never sinned in his questioning. In fact, his very questions demonstrated his faith. He was in agony and immediately went to the One with the answers and the control.

I walked my neighborhood today. Interlocking streets...homes...shops...people...and bitter cold. Winter sometimes intensifies times of heartache. I'm reminded of the winter in Job's life. We don't know if he ever got the answer to his question. "Why?" All we know is that He found comfort in the arms of His Creator, and in the end he received an even better inheritance than he had expected.

Standing in the school yard in the center of our village I watched two children flying a kite. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was below freezing, and there they were, laughing and playing. I was comforted in seeing that. God reminded me that winter never lasts. Spring will arrive someday and with it the promise of new life.

I recently went through a storm. Actually I'm still in it. But God is here with me. Even when I've taken my eyes off Him, He's been here. With Him I can endure anything, and I know the storm will eventually pass. Like Job, I can praise my Creator even in the midst of this storm.

God has used scripture and friends to support and comfort me. He has also used a number of songs. Here is one of them:

"Praise You In This Storm"

No comments: