Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wednesday...

Yep...slept in again. I finished packing one of my bags. I put most of my gifts and souvenirs in it. Last week, I mailed home some books and other items. (Erin, please watch for a package.) So, I shouldn't have any trouble with space, but weight might be a problem. When people tried to lift it, I just told them, "There's gold in Daejeon."

I went to Seoul again. There's a taxi driver who helped me on one trip. His name is Pyon Kwan Bok. He speaks good English, and after we found the church, he wrote down some basic information for me to use. I've shown it to each driver since, and they know just what to do. My Pyon also gave me his card and told me to call him. I hadn't done so, but several weeks ago I saw him again.

I had asked him about his beliefs before and this time he accepted my Korean/English "Steps to Peace with God" pamphlet. He has said he is not a religious man, but he drove and listened as I shared my faith in Jesus. Since then, I've called him to pick me up and we have good conversations. Mr. Pyon is like many here. He is open to conversation and polite, but dismissive of my faith. I can only live in front of them and pray they see Jesus.

I worshiped in Seoul and returned home at a decent hour for a change. Maybe if I go ahead an mess with my body clock it won't be so bad next week...wishful thinking I'm afraid. Jetlag is a mystery to those who haven't experienced it. And even some who have had it don't seem to understand those of us who have suffered. It's not that you are tired, it's that your brain just goes into standby mode. It's a cross between nausea and head rush, and it hits when you least expect it. It disappears just as suddenly. Back in June it really wasn't bad. Perhaps it's because we were constantly busy. If you don't give it a chance to take hold, you're pretty good.

When I arrived in November, I had a really rough time. I was good until Friday night, about 3 days after arrival. I was in Daejeon and at a restaurant with Robert and his family and Jamie. That's when I hit the wall. I was a Zombie and literally felt sick. But it was a strange sickness. Food didn't help. I appologized for being so unsociable, but then it suddenly went away. Then it returned again. Then it went away...

I found this on the net:

a description of jet lag
From Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson:
She knows, now, absolutely, hearing the white noise that is London, that Damien's theory of jet lag is correct: that her mortal soul is leagues behind her, being reeled in on some ghostly umbilical down the vanished wake of the plane that brought her here, hundreds of thousands of feet above the Atlantic. Souls can't move that quickly, and are left behind, and must be awaited, upon arrival, like lost luggage.
So, don't expect much from me the first week after returning home...but i'll try.

1 comment:

E said...

There is a big box from Korea on your table. Your clean table in your clean house, by the way. No silly string here. Promise.