Thursday, January 29, 2009

Saturday...

Saturday: Ee Myeong Su invited me to breakfast in his home. His wife cooked a great Korean meal, and then he and I went to Mt. Gyeryong National Park. On the way we stopped at the Daejeon National Cemetery. Like ours in America, veterans are honored and buried there. It was a moving experience, and with the snow as backdrop, the flowers seemed to dance to life.This grave marker says: Tomb of Kim Min Seok, Sergeant, Army














After the Cemetery we made our way to Mt. Gyeryong where I discovered Korean Gatlinburg. I purchased some gifts and souveniers and kept an eye out for the Old Smoky Candy Kitchen. Alas, it was not there. One little lady was particularly nice to me. I purchased some things and she gave me nearly as much as I paid for.
The park's main attraction is Donghaksa Temple. It has been built and rebuilt since 724 A.D., the present structures dating back to the 18th & 19th centuries. A large part of the main Temple was destroyed during the Korean War. It is a beautiful place, but it stands as a testimony to man's futile attempts to reach God in his own way. Fortunately, God has revealed the only way, His Son Jesus Christ. He is more beautiful than anything human hands can build, and the future He has for those who trust in Him is more precious than even the creation we enjoy today.
Saturday night, ANCF worshiped and Ilbin and I were the only singers. It was actually fun because we had some good duets going as we swapped the melody and harmony back and forth. I've enjoyed being in a support role for a change. It has allowed me to focus better on worshiping. I've been given several opportunities to lead, and it's been great fun. Hopefully, I'm not too rusty.

1 comment:

Susan said...

The temple is beautiful!