Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tuesday...

I slept in again. It was a holiday afterall. I spent most of the morning sorting my stuff so I can pack a bag and take it to Seoul on Wednesday. After lunch I went out again to shop for gifts. I went to the underground mall next to Daejeon Station. Directly under the six lane city street is a tunnel filled with shops. It goes for nearly a kilometer. It only stops because of the river, but it picks up again at the other side. On the subway/KTX end are two little gift shops.

I've been there a number of times and have looked at the same little items over and over. I know the ladies there must have thought, "Here he comes again, but he never buys a thing." Still, they always met me with smiles, and it has always been pleasant to visit. Although neither speaks ANY english, they both managed to communicate that they are Christians. One even allowed me to use her computer to access the bible online to see the English translation of a wall hanging she had. It was Psalm 46. I bought it.

I've had countless encounters with people like that. I may never be back this way, but I know I will see them again. I'm not certain, but I think the absence of normal communication has caused me to focus more on the person. And that has led me to realize the more important things... their heart... their needs... and their future. I cannot wait to get to heaven and be reunited with so many brothers and sisters. We will not be hindered by language and we will recall our first meeting with joy and laughter.

Tuesday night I met a few friends for dinner and a movie. We had invited a bunch of people from ANCF, but only four of us could go. After the movie, they threw me a going away party, and we stayed up until after 2:00 a.m. sharing stories and pictures. I'm going to miss my new friends.

1 comment:

Christy Ferrell said...

You would like one of my favorite songs... I have sung it several times. (Probably sang it at Cave City too) It is called Be still.. there is another track with the same title..different words.. but the words of the track I have was taken from Psalm 46. It begins You've been my refuge and you've been my strength. A very present help in troubled times. You've been my fortress and you've been my rock and you always remind me..(Chorus) be still, be still, be still, be still, be still, be still, and know that I am God...When all of my world seems empty and bare, I know I can trust that you'll be there. (Chorus)..............