Friday, January 23, 2009

My Vision...

I just received a vision, and I now know exactly what heaven will be like. It was a pure moment of clarity, and it reminded me that I can still count on the future that God has promised.

Imagine with me:

You are standing at the head of a table. A looooooong table. A veeeeeerrry looooooong table. A table that stretches beyond the horizon, beyond your comprehension, for all eternity. It gives off a radiant glow much like you've seen in movies, yet with a life that is refreshing and new. You look closer and see the source of the glow. On the table are countless platters arranged end to end as far as the eye can see. And on the platters is every imaginable kind of fresh, hot, melt in your mouth....donuts. Yes, these are heavenly donuts. Each bite is more satisfying than the last, and you never get too full.

For the first 1,000 years I'm going to eat glazed. For the next 1,000 I may eat chocolate or boston creme, I haven't decided yet. OK, you think I'm crazy, but wait just a minute. God uses images that we consider precious to give us a glimpse of heaven. Streets of gold, gates of pearl, mansions. Why not an endless table of donuts? You see, all of these, while they may be truthful, are intended to show us that God Himself is more precious than anything we can imagine. These images pale in comparison to His radiance and glory, and you and I are the beneficiaries of His love and provision.

I've always marveled at God's creation. Snow capped mountains, sunrise, brilliant star filled skies. If you never have, you should go into the country on a clear evening. Find a nice open field miles away from artificial light. Put down a blanket and lay there with your eyes on the sky. You will be astounded as the light fades and the stars begin to appear. Each moment you will think there could not be more, but there will be, and you will marvel and worship. Take you children, and show them who God is.

I am awestruck by these things, and then I read that there will be no night in heaven. Sometimes, I'm puzzled by that, thinking, "Why would you not want us to see that?" But then He reminds me that these things are only a veiled glimpse of His glory. He has so much more to show us. And best of all, He will be there.

Revelation 21:22-23 "I did not see a sanctuary in it, because the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its sanctuary. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, because God's glory illuminates it, and its lamp is the Lamb."

You should read John's full description: Revelation 21-22

You should know how this thought process began. One of the staff member's wives brought in a box of Dunkin Donuts this morning. I'll bet she never imagined God would use her in this way. What a beautiful site! .... and she's pretty, too.

Oh, did I mention the Starbucks to the left of the donut table? They give unlimited refills, and there is never a line...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Mine are chocolate glazed...and we can still see the milky way where we live. I know heaven is more beautiful than where we live, but it's hard to imagine. It's called Faith!