Thursday, November 27, 2008

'Til We Meet Again...

I met a nice little grandmother at the bus stop tonight. It was about 9:00 p.m. and she was sitting there alone. As I arrived, I said the usual, "Anyangheseyo" (standard greeting with the respectful ending), and she immediately smiled and began jabbering away as if she had waited all day for someone to talk to. I could only smile back and say, "English?" and "Little Hangeul" as I used my thumb and forefinger to indicate a very small amount. She smiled again.

So there we sat, the Korean lady and the foreigner...

I've been trying to be brave in conversation, so I made the attempt. Through hand motions and the clock on my phone, I asked when the bus would arrive. She did better than that. She told me that the buses come about 20 minutes apart..."ee ship bun." Wanting to be sure I understood, I said, "buseh...ee ship bun...buseh?" using my hand again to motion the bus coming around the corner. She nodded and began jabbering again. It's amazing how certain words you have learned will jump out of the fog of foreign conversation. I heard the name of my neighborhood (Shinseong-dong), so I nodded and said, "Shinseong-dong, Lucky hana, bek-ship-dong." That's Lucky Apartments, building 110.

Well, our bus arrived and we rode in silence with everyone else. As my stop neared, she spoke to me and motioned so I wouldn't miss it. I used some or my new Hanguel, "Manaso pangapssumnida" (It's nice to meet you.) She agreed. As we walked, she motioned toward my building, but I said, "oo-you" (milk) and pointed toward the little store at the corner. She smiled one last time and said, "Anyangheseyo." I replied, "Jal-ja" (Goodnight), and we went our separate ways. I really hope I see her again...

2 comments:

Richard said...

WOW! You are really spreading your wings there. I never thought I would see the day you would learn another language besides "Hola!" LOL
You'll be back and we won't be able to understand what you are saying. The only way to learn a language is to be where they speak it. You can only learn so much from books.
Brandon says "HI".
Ya know, something just hit me. As I read and see how you are learning, it hit me that you have had it in you this whole time. It's amazing how God knows our inner strengths and gives us the opportunity to let it shine through.
Your willingness is showing more and more the longer you are there.
Thank you for being an example to all of us here in Knoxville.

Unknown said...

I need to share this with Hunter and Kylie. It just seems when I have the moment to get on and read is when they are asleep.