Friday, November 21, 2008

Korean Barbeque...

In Korea, or any foreign land I suppose, you quickly become accustomed to having no idea what's going on. I learned that during our June Mission Trip, and I've had quite a number of those episodes since arriving in Daejeon. Surprisingly, it rarely bothers me. In fact, most of the time it's humorous, at least to me.

One of the best moments happened today. David, my Korean teacher and Ki Hyun (we'll call him "The Joker") took me to Costco. They bought supplies for a Korean Barbeque lunch for the staff, while I purchased some American essentials (Quaker Oatmeal, Instant Mashed Potatoes, Honey Roasted Peanuts and a 12-pack of giant muffins). The Korean Barbeque I discovered involved Johnsonville Brats. ^_^!!!

Anyway, someone mentioned mustard. After some discussion we agreed it wasn't necessary to buy a 5 gallon bottle for lunch. After we paid, David walked over to the fast food counter and ordered something. Standing some distance away I thought, "What's he buying? I thought we were having Barbeque for lunch." He came over with a hotdog and handed The Joker the drink cup. The Joker then proceeded to the condiment dispensers where he began filling the cup. First came the diced onions, followed by mustard and finally ketchup on top. He looked up and grinned at me as David said, "Korea way. We don't take drink."

I could only smile back and say, "Genious." David laughed and replied, "You will learn to survive like Koreans." That's how David got his new name. (I still can't quite shake the thought of languishing in a Korean jail.)

"The Joker", Me & "Genious"

2 comments:

D. Wright said...

I had Korean BBQ in China of all places. It’s some good stuff. Bring back some recipes.

How is your Korean coming?

Jeff said...

Working very hard...