Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Smile...

Sitting in my bus at a red light, I looked out the window into the bus next to me. Seated on her mother's lap was a little girl perhaps 2 years old. She was blankly staring out the window as toddlers will do, and she turned to see me looking at her. She was only 5 feet away, and I smiled. For a moment she only stared, but then her face broke into a huge smile back at me. No words, not even a wave, only the simplest form of communication. A smile...something every toddler in the world can understand. It was a great feeling, and we both held onto the moment.

I was dissapointed when her bus pulled away, but then I was comforted by God's presence. He put that girl in my path to brighten my day. He gave us both the capacity to communicate with a single expression. He placed His love in my heart, and I need never look far for a comforting, encouraging smile.

Psalm 80:7 "God who rules over all, make us new again. Let your face smile on us with favor."

2 comments:

The Knight Family said...

Awwwww-
I enjoyed reading that !

angie carr said...

Jeff,
What a great moment! God really does give us what we need when we need it. He is truly our PROVIDER!
I know a little girl here in Knoxville that misses your hugs and smiles! Lydia wants me to send you some hugs and smiles from her.