Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fully Available...

When you make yourself fully available to God, you do so with no preconditions and with no promise that you will see beyond the needs of the moment. Tonight I taught a bible study. I was given no book or outline. As I walked into the room, Pastor Paul asked me to fill in for the absent teacher. I was here last week, but everyone in the room tonight was new to me except one. There were 2 Americans, 2 Koreans, 2 Chinese, 1 Vietnamese and 1 Indian. Immediately I began to pray...that God would speak through me. It is in these moments that God brings to mind recent experiences with Him and the truths He has taught me.

During some "get to know you" time, we shared names, occupations and home countries. Then I asked, "What is the most difficult thing you've found about living in another country?" Most agreed that food was a major difficulty, but by far the greatest difficulty was language. Everyone shared the same basic fears and difficulties because of the language barrier. Now let me share with you what God gave me to share with them.

A language barrier can be very frustrating. You may be able to share basic thoughts and facts, but concepts and ideas are extremely difficult to communicate. One thing I have discovered is that scripture can be an effective way to share these things. Many times I've found a verse or passage that said exactly what I wanted to. Thanks to biblegateway.com I can find my verse and instantly translate it into Korean. That's a practical use that I never thought of. Of course the main purpose of scripture is to share God's thoughts with us.

Recently I was reading Psalm 43. (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%2043;&version=77) In it we find the psalmist struggling through some dark time, calling out to God and experiencing a roller coaster of emotions and faith. Within his despair he remembers God's faithfulness and expresses his trust in Him. Notice that the psalmist asks God to "Send Your light and Your truth; let them lead me." He knows that just as a single candle can light an entire room the light of God will scatter the darkness he is in. Darkness is always scattered by light. Darkness cannot overcome light. Therefore, darkness has no power.

Were you afraid of the dark as a child? Most of us were. Now we know there is nothing to fear, yet I still get a shiver up my spine sometimes. In Psalm 23:4 we are reminded that God is with us in the darkest valley, even the valley of the shadow of death. Did you know there can be no shadow without light being present? Even in our darkest valleys, God is there. Darkness has no power. We only give it power over us. Satan has no power. We only give him power over us. Jesus has all the power. He died for us to defeat the sin and darkness in our lives. He rose from the dead to give us the victory over death.

I asked them to share comments and a couple of people acknowledged dark times in their lives. One man shared that he once had an apartment with a roach problem. He recounted turning on the light and watching roaches scurry for the darkness. He then spoke of reading John chapter 1 where it talks about Jesus being the light. He said as he read it he felt like those roaches, wanting to run and hide from God. But God did a mighty work in his life, and he gave his life to Christ. Now he's not afraid of the light.

After bible study, we worshiped and the pastor preached from Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom should I fear." WOW! Only God can take an unprepared servant like me and speak through him like that.

After worship, we shared a fellowship meal. I spent some time with the Vietnamese man. His name is Chi Hyu Do. We talked about his time in Korea and family. Then he said point blank, "I'm not a christian." That's how they do it here. To them christianity is just another philosophy. I asked him what he is. He said, "Well, nothing." I offered to answer any questions he may have, and I'm going to be his friend.

Pray for Chi, and pray for me. Pray that I will have opportunities to share my Best Friend with these people. These people He loves so much and died for.

7 comments:

jackie said...

oh well...it looks like I was too late for the Korean number quiz.  I didn't realize I was too late until I saw that Richard won.  I answered it before I went to comments to give my answer.  Shoot after all that work I'm giving it anyway and my take is that you can share some of that Kimchi with me.  sam mahn yuk cheon chil bek sa ship oh.  I hope you can say it faster than you can write it!

jackie said...

This was a very powerful posting Jeff. I am so thankful for WLBC giving you the opportunity to serve God in this way. We will reap the benefits from our (yours and ours)obedience and faithfulness when you return to the states. I have great expectations!

Susan said...

John 8:12

"I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Susan

angie carr said...

Glad to see God is stretching you. Never underestimate what God can do and say through you especially when you are unprepared but willing. He is stretching us here at home as well. He never ceases to amaze me at the ways He chooses to work in our lives. I pray that He will continue to use you in unexpected and powerful ways. You are such a blessing and example to us all. God is sovereign and has a plan, a purpose, a hope and a future (Jer. 29:11)... for you. So glad you were and are obedient to God in this wonderful opportunity and excited to see how God's plan and purpose play out in this season of your life. Miss you!

Michele said...

Jeff, God is speaking through you to me and many others there with you and here at home.

Unknown said...

What a great chance to disciple to others! I'll definitely pray for you and your new friend. Every time I read, I'm excited about how God is going to work through you.

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog about Korea and what God is doing in your life. You have been such a blessing to me and can't wait to see what God has in store for you.