Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Black Sheep...

A carpenter, a school teacher, and scientist were traveling by train through Scotland when they saw a black sheep through the window of the train.
"Aha," said the carpenter with a smile, "I see that Scottish sheep are black."
"Hmm," said the school teacher, "You mean that some Scottish sheep are black."
"No," said the scientist glumly, "All we know is that there is at least one sheep in Scotland, and that at least one side of that one sheep is black."

This is an illustration shared with me the other day to explain that we can only believe what we see. Many of the people we are trying to reach at the All Nations Community Fellowship are scientists. While scientific deduction is important and has its place, it also makes faith a difficult thing for scientists to accept. Of course the illustration above is incomplete. I believe the ending goes something like this.

The train stops in the next town, and the scientist runs into a shepherd. The scientist mentions the discussion on the train and shares his conclusion with the shepherd. The shepherd smiles and says, "The sheep you saw is one of mine, and I assure you it is black on both sides. In fact, I have many black sheep in my flock." The scientist is sceptical. The patient shepherd sees the uncertainty in the scientist's face and says, "You can take my word for it."

John 10:27 "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

Pray as we attempt to break through the barrier of scepticism that exists in these people whom God loves so much.

No comments: