Friday, November 14, 2008

Road Rules...

The basic rules are as follows:
Semis can cut off buses. Buses can cut off flat-bed trucks. Flat-bed trucks can cut off taxis. Taxis can cut off cars. Cars can cut off motorcycles. Motorcycles can cut off scooters. Scooters can cut off bicycles. But pedestrians can cut off everybody. Oh, and bikes and scooters can drive on the sidewalk. Other than that, anything goes. Lights don't mean much and bus drivers learn to drive using that old "Need for Speed" video game. Still, I have yet to see any sort of traffic accident. I haven't seen anyone get pulled over either, but it would really shut things down if they started doing that.

I've been out every night, and it actually reminds me of home. More like Nashville or Louisville I guess, but it's still surprisingly familiar. Only when I look at the signs do I realize where I am. The other day I was only a couple of blocks from the apartment, but it gave me a really strange feeling. I realized that with just a few turns, I could really be lost. All the apartment complexes look the same, and at the time I didn't even know the name of mine. I've kept the leash fairly short when by myself.

The weekend should be very busy. I'm meeting with Ilbin, the worship leader for lunch Saturday. Then it's rehearsal, bible study, worship and a fellowship meal. Sunday morning is English children's church, and English classes begin Tuesday. We'll meet 4 days a week. I'll be learning Korean as a trade. We had Kimchi, Gongchi (fish) Kamja (potato) and Bop (rice) for lunch the other day. That's part of my homework. My Korean teacher says it's survival Korean. He knows what's important.

Now for the big news: I picked up an International Driver Permit before I left home, and the church offered me a car. :) Now, where did I put my "Amazing Race" bandana?

6 comments:

Robert said...

WOW. I can't believe they are going to let you drive. If I send them some Amazing Race clips, I am sure they will reconsider.

Unknown said...

Actually, the way it sounds, Jeff will fit in well there. I distinctly remember being cut off by him the last time I drove in the Amazing Race.

E said...

Are you really going to drive?? I'm still amazed we all made it back from just being passengers!

Terry said...

I think that if they give you a drivers licence that you should have to reapply when you come back to the U.S. You have many things to be admired for but I have to say your driving skills need some improvement. Maggie will have her license when you come back and I will definately tell her to be very very careful pulling into the church parking lot with Jeff on the loose!!

Michele said...

OK I agree with everyone here. I was once cut off by Jeff myself. He should fit in just fine!! Of course I fear for those motorcycles@

jackie said...

An International Drivers Permit!!!Just don't make any side trips to Germany over Christmas. I don't think the Auto Bahn can take two drivers like us! Die Polizei kommt! Die Polizei kommt!