Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting Started...

So far the demands have been fairly light. After the busy weekend, I spent Monday resting and exploring. Tuesday Robert (IMB Missionary) took me to Everlove Church, and I met many of the staff. While Robert taught his Tuesday Bible Study, one of the staff took me to get a local phone. By the way, don’t bother calling my regular phone. It’s off, and listening to voicemail is a pain. Please email or facebook me. I love to hear from you, and I check both regularly.

After lunch, we explored a bit and then went to the apartment again to finalize the arrangements. I move in Monday. My residence will be:

Sinseong-dong (pronounced Shinsong / dong means neighborhood)
Lucky Aparture (apartment complex)
Bek ship-dong (Building 110 / here dong means building)
Sam bek sa hoe (Apartment number / “hoe” = “number” / #304)

For those interested:
1 = il
2 = ee
3 = sam
4 = sa
5 = oh
6 = yuk (pronounced like “put”)
7 = chil
8 = pal (between “all” & “Hal”)
9 = gu
10 = ship

11 = ship il
12 = ship ee and so on

20 = ee ship
30 = sam ship and so on

100 = bek
200 = ee bek and so on

1,000 = cheon
10,000 = mahn

There is an older set of terms for numbers that some still use, but most people use the one above. The structure is simple really. I’ve already gotten the hang of the words and I’m beginning to catch numbers in conversations I hear. It’s interesting how easily words you have learned will jump out.

Just for fun, why don’t you try to write out the following number in Korean: 36,745. I’ll post the answer next time.

At 5:00 p.m. Tuesday I met with Pastor Paul. He is the Pastor of the ANCF, the English speaking congregation. I will work primarily with him. We shared a Korean meal, explored and had some good discussion and planning. Pastor Paul was raised in America and understands American culture as well as I do. I felt comfortable asking him questions about Korean culture that I had been hesitant to ask before, including “What is that?” and “What am I supposed to do with this?”

Wednesday I was on my own again, and Jamie came home early so we could go out. We went to TGI Fridays!! It’s good to give the palate a rest from time to time. J We took the bus so he could show me my route and various stops. Keep in mind that the signs are in Korean, so memorizing is vital.

Today, I’m sitting at my desk in the office. The whirlwind is over and it’s down to business. I’m looking forward to whatever God leads to experience and do.

1 comment:

Richard said...

sam mahn yuk cheon chil bek sa ship oh

What did I win for being the first to get it right? HA HA! :-)
I could say in spanish for you also if you like...
treinta seis mil sieta cientos quarenta y cinco. LOL **chistoso** (funny)
TTYL
Richard