Friday, February 13, 2009

Routine...

It's a dangerous thing. Since I've been home, I've quickly fallen back into my old routine. There was a brief time of adjustment. Unpacking, catching up on current events, changing the body clock, reminiscing about experiences. But now I'm back in the old familiar place. Perhaps the best example of the quick adjustment is my dogs. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got home that first night. They had gotten used to a new master and were doing well with all the new people coming around the house. I was a little concerned that I may have to work at taking over the lead dog position again.

The night I returned home I pulled into the garage just like always and opened the door to the kitchen. I only allowed it to open a little so I could turn on the light. I thought if they saw me, it wouldn't startle them. As I pushed the door open further, there they were, tails wagging in greeting. Then they realized I wasn't Erin. They suddenly looked concerned and stepped back while I knelt down and held out my hand. One sniff... Their whole countenance immediately changed from guarded concern to relaxed familiarity. It was as if I had never left. A couple of times I noticed Jabba looking off into the distance as if to say, "Wasn't there someone else... no... nevermind." Then she would come back to me.

Routine... It can be a good thing. Like the proverbial old glove, it can keep us safe. But I've discovered that routine can also be bad. If I'm not careful, routine can spend away the hours and days and rob me of the joy of life. In Korea, each day was a new adventure. I want my life here to be the same. I know it was a moment in time that God used to teach me new things. I know that even if I stayed there, the new would eventually wear off and routine would appear. But I don't want routine to dominate my life. I desire greater things. I need the new...the unexpected...the adventure. Here routine has already begun to smother inspiration. I want to write, and I'm asking God to show me things. New things and things that may have always been here. I want to continue to learn and stretch. I know He can do that.

Perhaps I'll hop on the bus from time to time.

Lamentations 3:22-23
[Because of] the LORD's faithful love
we do not perish,
for His mercies never end.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.

Revelation 21:5
And he that sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

1 comment:

carie said...

You SHOULD continue to write! I am so impressed with your entries...your words and message are inspiring. We all should be wary of routine! Satan will use it to lull us to sleep and close our eyes to the needs and opportunities around us. Take care!