Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chapters...

We have chapters in our lives. Sometimes they are brief, and sometimes they inhabit a large portion of our memory. When we reach the end of the chapter, many times the contents fade. The precious moments you experienced become difficult to recall. With that reality there is sadness. But there is also the joy in knowing that you experienced change and growth. Some chapters are easy to recall. Intense moments of joy, fear or pleasure. The greater the intensity the more readily details emerge.

I have several situations which because of their intensity are burned into my memory. I can recall them as if they were happening at this moment. There are also times when intense experiences last long enough that they become a blur. That is what we refer to as seasons. Those seasons are what God uses to make profound changes in our lives. My three months in Korea were a season. I experienced revelation, stretching, pain and growth. I understood God's love in ways I never imagined. I found people who have been redeemed by the same Savior I know and love. I found family.

Sunday night I shared with my family here. It was a daunting task, and I wasn't sure how to possibly explain three months in the span of one hour. Questions loomed... How can I tell people what I've learned? How can I communicate three months of experience that I would never have understood myself had I not lived it?

But God continues to demonstrate His power and faithfulness. I had a plan. I had collected photos and put them in a particular order hoping to share certain events and lessons learned. Just as I started, I realized that the order had been scrambled. My plan was gone. Instead, God used the random photos to spark memories and share His message. When I finished, I looked at my notes and realized that I had shared everything I wanted to, and more.

There is still much more to say, but more than that, there is much to do. God wants me to live the changes I experienced...to apply the things I've learned. Right now I'm in a bit of a fog. Memories have been overtaken by routine. The busyness and clutter of this life have begun to silence the life I lived in Korea, but I'm determined not to let that happen. I remember my day on the mountain and the slide show I made. The song "The Mountain" speaks of staying on there, and it seemed appropriate. When I watched the show for the first time myself, I realized God had placed that song in my heart to send me a clear message.

Jesus went to the mountain to be alone with His Father and renew His strength. We are called to the mountain to rest, learn and grow. Then we are to take our new understanding into the valley to share with others. He is the King of the mountain and of the valley. I serve the King...

I want to build a house up on this mountain
Way up high where the peaceful waters flow
To quench my thirsty soul
Up on the mountain

I can see for miles up on this mountain
Troubles seen so small they almost disappear
Lord I love it here
Up on the mountain

My faith is strengthened by all that I see
You make it easy for me to believe
Up on the mountain
Oh up on the mountain

I would love to live up on this mountain
And keep the pain of living life so far away
But I know I can't stay
Oh up on the mountain

I said I'd go Lord wherever You lead
For where You are is where I most want to be
And I can tell we're headed for the valley
My faith is strengthened by all that I've seen
So Lord help me remember what You've shown me
Up on the mountain

You bring me up here on the mountain
For me to rest and learn and grow
I see the truth up on the mountain
And I carry it to the world far below
So as I go down to the valley
Knowing that You will go with me
This is my prayer Lord
Help me to remember what You've shown me
Up on the mountain
Up on the mountain

I cherish these times up on the mountain
But I can leave this place because I know
Someday You'll take me home to live forever
Up on the mountain

No comments: