Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not In Kansas Anymore...

Thought I was an expert, but reality is back. I know I’m in a foreign country because the moving sidewalks go the wrong way. Right is left and left is right. Or as they say in Korea orencho is wencho and wencho is orencho. Anyway, I went looking for a luggage cart so I could explore a little. After carrying my luggage halfway through the terminal, I found a man with a collection of carts going the other way. I motioned for one and he obliged. Then I instinctively said, “Kamsahamnida (Thank you).” He almost laughed at me, and I thought, “Oh…Japan…right.” “Arigato,” I said.

After getting my cart, I found the currency exchange and got some Yen. Then I saw the McDonald’s sign and got another yen. What better way to prove you’ve been to another country than “Hot Apple Pie” in Japanese. Some people would say the airport doesn’t count as a visit to another country. I differ. It’s sovereign Japanese soil, so it counts. As soon as I can get on the internet, I’m changing my “Where I’ve Been” box on Facebook. They have internet access in the airport for the small sum of $6 a day, but I don’t think it’s worth it for 10 minutes of posting. It’s good in over 500 airports, but I probably won’t get to all of them.

A couple of loud American men just sat down nearby. I heard something about winning something in the last 40 seconds and immediately covered my ears. I’m sure it’s futile, but I hope to watch the Super Bowl when I get back and don’t want to hear about it. (I know where to download it, but don’t tell anyone.) I’ve already avoided three announcements on the plane. Unless I run into Chris Lane, I might make it. The last time I talked to him he said in a low sad tone, “Did you hear about the Colts?” I said, “NO! I didn’t!! But thanks!” He still doesn’t think he told me anything. (I love you anyway my brother.)

But there are more important things. I’m sitting next to a lady from Taiwan. She is going to the states for “a break.” She’s open to conversation, and I’m sensing God wanting me to talk to her, so I’ll just have to trust Him to protect me from the Super Bowl score. Maybe she’ll let me share my best friend with her…

No comments: