Monday, February 23, 2009

4 and 3/4...

Several years ago I refinanced my home mortgage to the incredibly low rate of 4 and 3/4 percent. It dropped 10 years off the life of the loan while lowering the monthly payment by about $20. I was truly giddy. In celebration, Ray, my loan officer and I patented the 4 and 3/4 wave and the 4 and 3/4 hand shake. That's when you bend your index finger at the first knuckle. We also regularly gave each other a high 4 and 3/4 which is much better than a high 5. For some time, I went around excitedly telling people about my good fortune and encouraging others to do as I had done.

I usually received a mixture of reactions, most often with a touch of amusement on the part of the listener. One night after church, I was standing in line at Krystal with a new church family and was telling the story. My excitement level grew as I shared the details, and as I concluded, one of them asked, "Do you work for the loan company?" Surprised, I replied, "No... I'm just telling everyone the good... news...." I immediately heard the message God was sending me through my own words. Why do I not share Jesus with the same passion and urgency?

As Christians, we continually seek ways to encourage one another and ourselves to share Christ with other people. We talk about the duty of a Christian as commanded by Christ. We study clever methods of sharing. We encourage each other to learn and know what we believe. And we plead with people to participate in the outreach ministry. All of these things are important. But most of the time something else is missing. I believe most of us are missing passion in our lives. Passion for our first love. Passion for the one who saved us. Passion for the one who forgave the unforgivable.

I Corinthians 13 is familiar to most of us... "1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." This passage obviously speaks of the need of God's love in our lives, but I'm beginning to see it in a different way. Perhaps it also refers to passionless outreach efforts that achieve short term success but do not last.

Paul speaks of the positive effect passion can have on our others. In 2 Corinthians 9, he writes... "2For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action." People see importance where they see passion. My words alone will not usually persuade, but when partnered with genuine passion, words can change lives.

Paul also instructs us in Romans 12... "11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord." It's natural for the fire to dwindle. That is why it must be tended. I must stoke the fire of passion for my Savior.

Regardless of all the study and work, the most important thing for me to do as a Christian is to preserve (or revive) the passion in my heart for Jesus. Daily renewal and remembering where I am and from where I've come. Seeking and listening to Him. Loving Him. Only with a passionate heart will I be an effective witness for Him.

2 comments:

carie said...

So true...I must be needing to hear that, as my preacher delivered a similar sermon recently.

Richard said...

You know when you think God is speaking to you... And at first, you think it's just neat, then you see it again in the same day... Jeff you spoke of Romans 12, I stumbled across another blog which quoted the same verse... If you would like to check it out here is the url:

http://modernmarch.com/2009/02/23/a-zealous-christian/

I think there is something to be said when God puts it in your face 2 times in 1 hour.

Thank you for continuing to share.