Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reflex...

When the doctor taps your knee, it kicks. Reflex. When I step out of the dark right in front of Terry Wright, she jumps out of her skin. Reflex. When a man's daughter flashes big eyes and that special smile, he reaches for his wallet. Reflex.

I don't have a daughter, but I know all about the wallet reflex. All men do. Whether they've given in to it or not, they've felt the pressure. And age doesn't matter. It's easier for daughter types to cash in, but grown women can do it, too. It's all about the look.

I remember an episode at the Family Life Center a couple of years ago. Several of our middle school girls were practicing on a basketball team, and as I walked into the building, they took a break. Hanna was the first out the gym door. Seeing me, she gave that special smile and asked, "Can I have a dollar for the drink machine?" My arm flinched. Immediately 5 more girls came through the door, and within seconds I was standing there alone, head spinning, with an empty wallet in my hand. I still think they planned it somehow.

Just the other day, Alli and Hanna dropped by the office to say hello. We were in staff meeting, but it was a nice break. They excitedly said they were going to the video store to rent "High School Musical 3." They wanted to buy it, but didn't have enough money. My arm flinched. I held back the impulse, but gave them each a dollar, and jokingly said, "Go buy yourselves something pretty."

I was hoping for a good eye roll and a smart remark. Instead, Hanna the optimist said, "Hey, we can get more sausage biscuits!" Later that day, I asked about it. No sausage biscuits. Instead, they realized that with my $2 they had enough to buy the DVD after all.

It's nice to be needed.

3 comments:

The Knight Family said...

That is so sweet Jeff! You are a GREAT guy!

Jeff said...

No...just a sucker. ;)

Richard said...

When I saw the word REFLEX, I thought of the song "Reflex" by Duran Duran. Thanks, now I can't get that song out of my head. LOL