Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Planes, Trains and Automobiles...

Have you ever had motion sickness? There's nothing like it in the world. I've been car sick, sea sick, air sick and amusement park sick. I'm an expert. I know the beginning signs, and I know effective remedies for every stage of it. The problem is that the only way to stop it completely is to stop moving. But there's nothing you can about that in an airplane.

I spent the last third of our main flight to Incheon struggling with air sickness. I tried to sleep and went to the head (sounds more dramatic in this case) several times, with some temporary relief. Still, I could not eat the second meal of our flight, and my discomfort progressively got worse. The attentiveness of the beautiful young Korean flight attendants didn't even matter to me. I was really sick.

Side note: They really don't like it if you try to get out of your seat when you're landing. I had to rush to the head again during final approach. Two little ladies about broke down the door to get me back in my seat. They were sweet but insistant, so I complied. I know they will hold the plane on the runway if that happens during take off, and for a brief moment I was amused at the thought of the plane coming to a screeching halt in midair. But it didn't last.

Finally on the ground, I immediately felt better, but I wasn't cured. And during the hour long drive to the mission house, I had to stop a couple of times to the deep concern of our Korean hosts. Days later, people were still asking if I was OK. I told them of my long night's sleep and my hunger Saturday morning. Severe hunger is a great sign. I ate two eggs, several strips of bacon, a bowl of cereal and 5 pieces of thick toast. Much better!

No comments: