Friday, March 2, 2012

Broken Pieces…

It was after 11:00 p.m. as I drove down Kingston Pike. Like so many times before, the light shown brightly, and I had to pull the car over. No one else was around, so I took my time. After carefully considering my options, I said, “I’d like a blueberry cake donut. And may I have a regular cake donut dipped in chocolate?” The nice lady replied, “Sure thing. Just pull around.”

So, there I sat, counting out the money and waiting for that donut goodness to come into the car window. I wondered which one I would eat first. I really like the way the blueberry taste combines with the crisp texture of the sugary glaze. But I also really like the way the rich chocolate icing compliments the simple goodness of the cake donut. Decisions, decisions. So, I waited…and waited. It seemed like five minutes had passed when finally a rather frustrated looking lady appeared at the window.

She apologized for taking so long, and I noticed she had nothing in her hand. (I wondered if this would be another one of those great dissapointments.) She said, “The cake donuts are still warm and they keep falling apart in the chocolate. I’m trying to get you a good one.” With that she darted away. “No, wait!” I called. “Just scoop out the pieces. I’ll take them.” But she was already gone.

She returned moments later with a box and a victorious smile. I thanked her for her trouble, paid and drove away. In the box were two perfect donuts, just what I had ordered. But all I could think about were the beautiful, chocolate covered pieces she was now throwing away. If only she had understood. She didn’t have to make the perfect donut. I would have been happier with the broken pieces.

It’s the same with God. He wants me to come to Him, but I feel so unworthy. I try to clean myself up…to make myself presentable…to put the pieces back together. But then He says, “I wanted what you were before. That’s what I can really use.” He doesn’t say, “Bring me your perfectly ordered life.” He says, “Bring me your broken pieces.” Hear His words:

“The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
(Psalm 34:17-18)
“My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)
“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” (Psalm 147:3)

Don’t try to perfect your life. You can’t. Just take Him the broken pieces. That’s what He really wants, anyway.

No comments: