Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Empty Tomb...

In 1994, I visited the Holy Land for 6 days with a group of ministers on what is known as an “introductory tour”. It’s purpose was to introduce us to the tour company who hoped we would return soon with a church group. It was inexpensive and even included the promise of a refund if we booked a group within a certain amount of time. It was a whirlwind. They wanted us to see and feel as much as possible, and they filled every moment of the day.

Initially, I flew to New York, and after joining the rest of the group, departed for Tel Aviv at 3:00 p.m. (local time). After an 11 hour flight, we landed at 7:00 a.m. (local time) and boarded the bus to begin touring. This was difficult enough, since my body thought it was actually 2 o’clock in the morning. But by 2:00 p.m. that day (9:00 a.m. body time) I had not slept in over 24 hours and had spent the whole time flying or touring. Our guide, seeing our weariness, stopped in mid sentence and said, "Do you want to go to the hotel?" We all nodded appreciatively.

I quickly learned that our group differed in priorities as much as we differed in denominational background. Several times I was surprised by what interested some of them. I remember the first glimpse we had of Jerusalem. We were coming up from Bethlehem and topped a hill. There in front of us was the Eastern Gate leading to the Temple Mount. We stopped to take pictures, and the first thing several of my colleagues did was go straight to a camel guy nearby to take pictures of him. I'm not criticizing their choice, I'm simply pointing out the differences in our point of interest. Before long, I mastered the ability to get ahead of these friends. It allowed me a brief moment with the Lord in some of the more spiritually thrilling places.

The Garden Tomb is one such place. It is "believed by many to be the garden and sepulchre of Joseph of Arimathea, and therefore a possible site of the resurrection of Jesus." [The Garden Tomb] In any case it has the look and feel of what Jesus' tomb was like. When we arrived, we were given a brief history and biblical reminder. Then we were led up a path through the forested part of the garden. We entered a small clearing with an amphatheatre type seating area and sat while the caretaker continued to share. We were instructed to look over our right shoulders. I was astonished to see the side of a cliff nearby with the distinct features of a skull. This was Gordon's Calvary, a possible site of the crucifixion.

As we rose to move on, I sensed that the tomb was next and politely worked my way to the front while the others took their time snapping pictures. I could not quite believe I was really there, and my excitement bagan to build as I moved along. There was one lady farther ahead, and as we both went down the path, my quick pace turned into a trot. Heart pounding, I cleared the trees, and the tomb appeared before me. I jogged down half a dozen steps into the open courtyard. Crossing it quickly, I passed the lady who had stopped outside the tomb to read a sign. Without stopping I stepped into the tomb.

Stone walls, cool and pitted by time... Chisel marks... A hewn out bed along one wall...but it wasn't finished...... Finally, I breathed. It was a long moment, and it's burned into my memory. I was given the gift of a few seconds alone in the empty tomb. Time stopped for me there, and I worshipped.

The others arrived, and I stepped out, partly to make room and partly to preserve my moment. Later I recalled my time in the Garden, and my experience seemed to have a strange familiarity. Then I remembered. In John 20, we are told:
3 At that, Peter and the other disciple went out, heading for the tomb. 4 The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and got to the tomb first. 5 Stooping down, he saw the linen cloths lying there, yet he did not go in. 6 Then, following him, Simon Peter came also. He entered the tomb and saw the linen cloths lying there. 7 The wrapping that had been on His head was not lying with the linen cloths but was folded up in a separate place by itself.

Chills ran through me then and do now 15 years later. Ordinary men... following their Lord... found His tomb empty. Centuries later, another ordinary man found the same thing. Jesus is risen. He has conquered death. The grave could not hold Him. The tomb is empty.

I know... I was there...

No comments: