Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Cardinal...

It was a beautiful spring day, one which demands the opening of windows. A cool breeze was moving through the house, and I had even opened the garage door and the kitchen door which leads to the garage. As I worked in the back bedroom, I heard a noise in the other part of the house. I've never had children, but I think I know one aspect of parenting...the uncanny ability to sense when something is wrong. My subconscious tapped me on the shoulder and said, "The dogs are outside, so there shouldn't be noise in there." I went to investigate.

Upon exiting the hallway, I discovered the most beautiful red male cardinal. He was frantically trying to fly through my front window...the glass part. It's not the first time I've chased a bird, so I quickly grabbed a towel and held it up...partly to encourage him toward the door and partly for protection. He was already upset, and my presence only made him more panicky. He made several attempts at the sliding glass door (I had not opened it, because the dogs would only come in making for a truly exciting chase.)

After a brief try as matador, my new friend flew past me and began working on the bathroom window. In order to narrow the field of play, I closed both doors and was able to settle him down a bit. He even sat still but wide eyed while I reached toward him and unlocked and opened the window. Immediately he broke for freedom. Relieved, I quickly went down the hall to close the kitchen door, but heard another strange sound in the garage.

I looked to see another male cardinal working on the garage window. As I began the dance with this one, I realized what had happened. It's springtime...the season of love. And these two fellows had been fighting for the right to court some little female who was no doubt delighted at the attention. During their sparring match, they lost their bearings and wound up trapped. The need for freedom quickly overcame the need for love, and their attention turned from each other (and the female).

I chuckled at the situation and then laughed out loud when I thought of a moral to the story. Something about being led to destruction came to mind...

Proverbs 25:

20 My son, keep your father's command,
and don't reject your mother's teaching.

21 Always bind them to your heart;
tie them around your neck.

24 They will protect you from an evil woman,
from the flattering tongue of a stranger.

25 Don't lust in your heart for her beauty
or let her captivate you with her eyelashes.

No comments: