Friday, March 20, 2009

How Do You Do That...

The other day Samantha Norman asked me, "How do you choose the songs for worship?" The question surprised me, and I didn't immediately have an answer, so I said something about flipping pages with my eyes closed and stopping randomly. Renee, her mother, chimed in something about Itunes party shuffle, so I said, "Yeah I use party shuffle. The only problem is that sometimes I end up with a Beatles song in the mix." Samantha's sister Sydney jumped in with, "Like 'Hey Jude.'" That was particularly funny, because we had all just heard a sermon on Judas. I still chuckle.

The real answer didn't come to me, because frankly it's not something I do alone. Granted, there are times when I'm either tired or not where I need to be spiritually, and I just pick songs I like. But most of the time, choosing worship music involves a powerful experience with God. This week is no different. Let me share something that happens to me regularly.

Yesterday as I drove to church, the song, "The Power of Your Love" was on the radio. We know it well, and I was singing along.

Hold me close, let Your love surround me; Bring me near, draw me to Your side. And as I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle, And I will soar with You, Your Spirit leads me on in the pow'r of Your love.

As I sang the chorus, another melody came to mind, and I heard the words:

Take me, mold me, use me, fill me; I give my life to the Potter's hand. Mold me, guide me, lead me, walk beside me; I give my life to the Potter's hand.

Realizing it would make a great medley, I checked my arrangements when I arrived at church. Sure enough, they are in the same key, and I excitedly wrote myself a note. This morning as I began to prepare, I pulled those songs first. I use several references which give me scripture backgrounds and even suggest medleys, so it was easy to find a couple of other songs. "Your Love, Oh Lord" leads into "The Power of Your Love", and "Have Thine Own Way" is the obvious Invitation song.

I then picked up "Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble". I've been wanting to use it for several weeks, but it never seemed to fit just right. Thinking it would be a good opener, I began looking for a companion to pair it with. First I went to the Worship Leader resource and found the scripture background from Isaiah 64:1.

If only You would tear the heavens open and come down, so that the mountains would quake at Your presence.

Feeling led to the hymns, I then went to my hymn/scripture reference guide and checked two hymnals I most often use. I was dissapointed to find no reference to that scripture, but was intrigued to see verse 8 of that chapter in both. Curious, I looked and was awestruck once again:

Lord, You are our Father; We are the clay, and You are our potter; We all are the work of Your hands.

There is no such thing as coincidence. Only the One True God could guide and confirm like that. I am no longer surprised by the way He works in this, but I am always amazed. Another thing about all this is that Todd and I rarely discuss what he plans to preach. The only time I have any idea is during a series. That's why I'm continually amazed when the singing and the sermon fit like a hand in a glove. People think we coordinate it all, but the fact is that we don't have anything to do with it. God really can bring obedient people from different directions to arrive at the same place.

We're opening worship Sunday with "Heaven came down and glory filled my soul!"

SOLI DEO GLORIA!!!!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Born of the Spirit with life from above into God's family divine,
Justified fully thru Calvary's love, O what a standing is mine!

Jeff said...

You got that right!!!

jlquarles said...

Glory to God alone! I close all my emails, etc with this sola (SOLI DEO GLORIA). Bless you dear old friend.





Best wishes etc., especially the later.